Diabetes Symptoms in Women and Men
A number of diabetes symptoms affect both men and women. These symptoms include:
- Excessive thirst. This is a very common diabetes symptom in women and can happen despite drinking plenty of water.
- Increased frequency of urination, especially at night. Although women often urinate more than men do, this can also be a diabetes symptom and is very common in women.
- Frequent hunger. Women who have diabetes can experience extreme hunger and an increase in appetite.
- Unwanted or unexplained weight loss. This diabetes symptom in men and women is caused by the body's inability to utilize glucose for energy.
- Constant fatigue. Lack of energy makes men and women feel tired all the time.
- Blurred vision. High levels of glucose in the blood can accumulate in the lens of the eye, causing it to change in shape. This results in blurred vision.
- Tingling or numbness in the hands and feet. Failure to manage blood sugar levels can damage the nerves in the body's extremities.
- Recurring infections and wounds that heal slowly. This diabetes symptom in women and men may be the result of a weakened immune system.